Friday, December 01, 2006

A deer story : by Jim Booth

As we all know North Idaho is a beautiful place and more importantly, we are known for our excellent hunting. So do I have a story for you. The time was Friday morning @ 8:30 am(the last day of deer hunting season). I was feeling discouraged from a very long and cold hunt from the previous morning(how cold was it(you ask)??? It was negative degree wind chill!!!) So, as I was walking about the house I noticed a 5 point Buck hiding behind the couch. At first I was in utter disbelief!!!!! How could anyone get so lucky? Just think I wouldn't even have to pack it out in the freezing cold. Just as I was thinking about how fortunate I was, the Deer and I made eye contact....


It was like an old fashioned stare down @ the OK Corral. At that moment I knew the hunt was on. It was Buck vs. Hunter, Mano y Mano, man vs. animal. Then without notice the cunning beast started running....



As the buck headed for the brush I made a dash to my bedroom to retrieve my rifle. I could sense the fear in the saavy beast. As I approached the living room I noticed something moving in the trees.....

Steadily I took aim, I knew I only had one shot, if I missed he would make for the front door and be gone forever. Just before I squeezed the trigger I saw a look in the old boy's eyes...he knew that it was the end of the road. Then I fired my Father's 3rd generation 30/30 winchester. BOOM!!!!! ......


It was a perfect shot!!!!!! I conquered the beast with my highly intellectual, cat like reflexes. Only an experienced hunter could have pulled off such a perfect hunt. Look how peaceful the old boy looks, he probably didn't feel a thing..


So, with hunting season over I am extremely happy over my last minute kill. Now many of you might be wondering what the moral of the story is....well here it is. Hunt hard, be patient, and shoot straight. Then, maybe one day you could be as good as me.

The names of those involved have been protected.
No animals were harmed during the production(good thing for the boy).
My name is Jim Booth and I approved this story.

Dedicated to Papa....... good Idea Dad

5 comments:

Alyssa said...

Hey you guys! :) That was GREAT! So cute & original- I loved it! You know, you should make a photo book out of that. Really! I've purchased photo books from Shutterfly (although nowhere near as creative as this was) & they're very reasonable priced & they do a beautiful job. That'd be cool for Jimmy to have. What a cutie he is! He made a very good buck or deer or whatever you'd call it! LOL!
Love, Alyssa

Anonymous said...

Hi - James you did great!! What a buck! Y9ou must be a real warrior I noticed that your horns were a little broken! The best looking buck around. But I do think that you (James should be the hunter next time) Afterall James your Dad went hunting and didn't get a thing - except some WILD story of the one that got away. Love You Papa

Anonymous said...

Look at that Rush hat! Is there a story behind that? Dad

Kimmi Booth said...

Loved it! Quick question... who do you host your pics through? I've had a problem with pics since switching to dad's computer...

Anonymous said...

Hi - I read the story again, maybe you should be a writer - you have always been full of crazy ideas! I miss you! DAD